Making an Impact

DDAs Doctors’ Day approaches on March 30, we are reminded of the lasting impact physicians can make. At UF Health, the letters we receive from patients and families serve as a testament to this impact — and how personalized care can make all the difference during a hospitalization. Paul Crispen, MD, a UF College of Medicine urologist, was named in one such letter.

In an email with the subject, “We made the right decision,” a patient’s family detailed the care this patient received during a recent stay. They thanked the medical team of UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital Unit 8E Adult Oncology, and Long Dang, MD, PhD, a UF Health College of Medicine oncologist, as well as numerous support teams.

“It is the excellent medical, nursing and support services care we received during our first stay on 8 East that has compelled me to write this letter,” wrote the patient’s mother. “Our stay was a joyful reminder that kindness is a crucial element to expert medical care. The positive attitude of 8 East anchored my son through the uncertainty, pain and fear during his stay. Thank you all for shining your light on my family.”

Crispen noted that this patient story highlighted the comprehensive care offered at UF Health. As part of a multidisciplinary team, patients are able to meet with Crispen and other specialists during a single visit, enhancing the collaboration between specialties.

“UF Health has afforded me the opportunity to provide comprehensive cancer care in an extremely collegial and collaborative setting” he said.  “It would be impossible for me to provide this level of patient care and engage in my research interests without the continuous support from all of my colleagues throughout UF Health.”

Crispen’s patient focus and research interests are complementary. His current research explores how to improve treatment selection for patients presented with multiple options, such as patients with small renal tumors.

“I feel that by understanding the biology of their cancer, patients will have greater insight on how treatment may impact their lives and improve treatment selection,” he said.

In honor of Doctors’ Day, we ask that you consider a physician who may have positively impacted your life. A gift in his or her name will not only honor the remarkable work they do, but it will provide UF Health with the resources to develop and improve specialized care. With your gift, consider leaving a note of thanks to let our doctors know just how much they are appreciated. Thank you for your support.