Get to know Drew Galligan, M.D., Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellow

Dr. Drew Galligan is a master of science student in the department of health outcomes and policy. He completed a residency in pediatrics (including a chief resident year) at the University of Florida before starting his pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship, where he is currently a clinical fellow.

H1. When and how did you decide to enter pediatrics?

I decided to enter pediatrics soon after starting medical school (and maybe even before starting it). During high school and into college, I always enjoyed working with children and their families, mainly through work and volunteer activities. After medical school started, this desire was strengthened, and I found myself more interested in the pediatric cases presented. Attending Boggy Creek Camp as a summer counselor between my first two years of medical school sealed the deal, and I knew pediatrics was where I belonged.

2. What has been the most rewarding aspect of fellowship?

The most rewarding aspect of fellowship has been working with the incredible children and their families who get treated for cancer at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital. I feel privileged to be a part of their team as they go through one of the toughest times in their lives.

3. What are some of your favorite memories of working at UF Health Shands?

As I enter my seventh year here at UF Health, I have too many favorite memories to choose from. I am happy to have met and worked with amazing residents, fellows, medical students, nurses, faculty, and staff.

4. What drew you to hematology/oncology?

I was drawn to hematology/oncology by the connections I felt I could make with the patients and families dealing with cancer – whether it is celebrating the end of therapy, discussing treatment options with a patient and their family, or helping a family deal with the loss of their child. I want to be there for my patients as they go through this difficult journey.

5. Tell us about your areas of research.

Currently, I am getting my masters degree in health outcomes and policy and conducting a clinical research study focused on pediatric cancer survivors and the impact of their social network/social support on their health outcomes.

6. Please tell us about any special interests or hobbies you have.

I enjoy spending time with my wonderful wife, Steph, and two amazing kids (Emma, 4, and Aiden, 2). I am an avid Gator fan and love to watch and play basketball, football, and baseball.